Overview of the Windows Exchange Server versions currently available in the Wiresoft Shop
In Wiresoft's online shop you will find the latest version of Exchange Server 2019 as well as the previous versions, for which Microsoft support is usually also available. This allows you to supplement your current server licenses in the respective version at a reasonable price or to upgrade to a higher version. The following Exchange versions are available in the Standard and Enterprise Edition:
For all server licenses for Windows Exchange Server available in the Wiresoft online shop, you will also find the corresponding client access licenses with which you can equip your employees in a customized and at the same time cost-effective way.
To use Windows Exchange Server as a desktop application, Microsoft Outlook is recommended as client software, which is not part of one of the Exchange Server versions. If you do not use the Outlook software included in the Office, you can also purchase Outlook and Microsoft Exchange Server together from Wiresoft.
In the following you will find a short overview of the most important functions and innovations of the respective server versions, further detailed information can be found on the respective product pages and also directly from our team - by e-mail, telephone or in the chat.
Exchange Server 2019
Microsoft Exchange Server 2019 is currently the latest version of the proven messaging platform with extensive user-defined and therefore flexible functions for message service and company-wide collaboration. Exchange places even greater emphasis on secure e-mail traffic, supplemented by comprehensive options for scheduling and contact management tasks. The mailbox server role offers a significant performance improvement with Exchange Transport, Mailbox Transport Submission, Mailbox Transport Delivery and Frontend Transport. The Exchange Server applications can be deployed both locally and in the cloud. Key features in Exchange 2019 include
- Meta Cache Database (MCD) to secure meta-information such as the folder structure of a mailbox and provide faster access and search.
- Dynamic Database Cache (DDC) for dynamic adjustment of storage capacity according to the situation, especially at high workloads.
- Reorganization of the search index - this is now located directly in the respective database of a mailbox.
- Windows Server Core provides a simplified version of the standard version of the server system, making configuration easier and disabling unneeded but resource-intensive services while providing fewer points of attack.
- Client Access Rules enable you to restrict access to the server configuration area, both for the Admin Center and for PowerShell.
- Many calendar enhancements that specifically affect the organization of meetings, including Default End Standard, Do Not Forward, Improved Calendar Management, and more options for configuring out-of-office messages and assigning a proxy through PowerShell.
- OneDrive for Business provides enhanced document collaboration, integrating both locally stored and online files.
Exchange Server 2016
The Microsoft Exchange Server version 2016 offers maximum control and at the same time transparency in the organization of e-mail traffic and
Control and management of other communication processes. Emails and contacts can be managed and archived centrally, and the joint work on documents including version management has also been improved. By reducing the server roles to two - mailbox and edge transport - the server architecture has been optimized and at the same time scaling has been simplified, including better support for cloud services. Exchange Server 2016 includes the following key features, among others:
- Outlook on the Web is the new name for Outlook Web Access or Outlook Web App. Web access to the Exchange Server provides an optimized Web interface that can be used without first installing the Outlook App on a smartphone or tablet.
- The search architecture eDiscovery works asynchronously as well as decentralized, involving several servers. When entering search terms in Outlook or Outlook on the Web, suggestions appear based on frequently used contacts as well as e-mails, calendars and previous search queries including filters such as date ranges.
- Improved search scalability increases the number of mailboxes and archive mailboxes from 5,000 to 10,000.
- Files stored in OneDrive for Business and SharePoint 2016 can now simply be inserted as a link in an email and opened by the recipient.
- With support for hybrid scenarios, a mailbox can either be located on a local server or in the cloud. Local mailboxes can also be used via Exchange Online archiving or Azure Rights Management.
- Data Loss Prevention (DLP) protects the security of data in e-mail traffic, both when sending confidential information and when receiving manipulated e-mails.
Exchange Server 2013
Exchange Server 2013 offers a number of practical features that make collaboration between employees and teams both efficient and transparent. In particular, the control and protection of critical data has been taken into account without hindering business processes. At the same time, the management of mailboxes and calendars has also been optimized, for example by reducing the server roles to three - with: Mailbox Server, Client Access and Edge Transport. All Exchange Server functions can be provided locally or in the cloud. The Outlook Web App has an improved user interface: touch screen support extends the use of Exchange 2013 to mobile devices. The following features are also among the most important innovations of the 2013 server version:
- The Intelligent Search function helps to improve not only the quality of search results, but also the communication within the company: Information can thus be retrieved and summarized from various sources.
- The Compliance eDiscovery feature offers improved integration of Microsoft Lync 2013 and Microsoft SharePoint 2013, which now also allows searching website mailboxes.
- In-Place eDiscovery simplifies data discovery with optimized search and indexing capabilities, which also makes it easier to meet compliance requirements.
- Simplified e-mail transport with the mailbox server role, which consists of Front-End Transport Service (FET), Hub Transport Service (HT) and Mailbox Transport Service (MT), replacing the previous Hub Transport server role The Unified Messaging service contains the functions previously performed by the Unified Messaging server role.
- The Exchange Admin Center (EAC) includes the previous Exchange Management Console (EMC) and Exchange Control Panel (ECP), while being optimized for on-premise, online, and hybrid deployments.
- Journal Report Decryption provides the option to protect e-mail using Information Rights Management - IRM - in Microsoft Outlook and Office Outlook Web App.
- Data Loss Prevention - DLP - not only prevents data loss, but also prevents sensitive data from being inadvertently or intentionally sent to unauthorized persons.
- ActiveSync Mobile Access allows mobile devices to synchronize with the Exchange mailbox and also access calendars, contacts and tasks.
Exchange Server 2010
Exchange Server 2010 is a popular version of Microsoft's groupware software that is still used by many organizations as an e-mail transport server and for managing appointments and tasks. As a result, Microsoft expects to offer extended support for Exchange Server 2010 through October 2020.
Exchange Server 2010 offers reliability, performance, and a rich set of e-mail traffic features - with many improvements and enhancements, especially for Outlook Web Access and administration, supported by flexibility in the use of many features and compliance. The configuration is done via PowerShell, while WebServices control access to mailboxes and public folders and replication. Other features and innovations worth mentioning include
- Outlook Web Access or the Outlook Web App - OWA - offers the search folders known in Outlook as well as the favorites for sorting e-mails, including several views, for example for the calendar, and the archive function. Outlook 2010 can be connected to multiple Exchange accounts without the need to create a separate profile.
- By archiving emails online on the Exchange server, they can be accessed from anywhere. The storage of emails is individually defined with retention policies, making it easier to comply with compliance rules.
- Unified messaging now provides a single inbox for e-mail, voice mail, SMS, and fax; voice mail can also be delivered as e-mail or previewed on the smartphone using the Speech2Text feature
- User administration is possible either via the Exchange Management Console, Remote PowerShell or via Outlook Web Access. OWA offers its own administration interface for this purpose, the Role-Based Access Control (RBAC) also grants defined rights to individual employees, for example for the administration of distribution groups.
- The mailbox resiliency function offers a high availability option in addition to disaster recovery. The Database Availablity Group (DAG) function also allows Exchange databases to be copied between different servers, with replication taking place using transaction logs.
- Organizing email conversations is further facilitated by a number of practical features; these can be organized as threads and by topic, with Conversation View sorting emails accordingly and Ignore Conversation hiding unimportant email conversations. The Office Communicator feature, OC, displays the presence status of colleagues, and Consistent Experience unifies the use of functions on the PC, mobile phone or the web. The Journaling function enables compliance rules to be observed.
The Microsoft licensing model for Exchange Server with server license plus CALs
Licensing of Microsoft Exchange Server versions is made up of the server license and the number of client access licenses (CALs) required. According to Microsoft, the following regulations must be observed:
1 Each individual server requires its own Exchange Server license.
The server license includes access rights for administrators to manage the Exchange Server - but these do not constitute usage rights for the Exchange Services.
3. each employee who wants to use the Exchange Server features must have a Client Access License - CAL.
4 CALs for Exchange Server are available in two variants: a personal user CAL and a device-specific device CAL.
What server licenses are available for Exchange Server editions?
There is a separate server license for each edition of Exchange Server - typically Standard and Enterprise. By purchasing them, you acquire the right to implement the respective server software on your company server. The main difference between the two editions is the number of mailbox databases available:
- The Standard 2010 already supports up to 5 mailbox databases and is therefore often sufficient for the requirements of small and medium-sized companies.
- With the support of up to 100 mailbox databases, the Enterprise Edition covers the requirements of large companies and organizations.
The functional scope of the respective edition of Windows Exchange Server 2010 is controlled by the client access licenses. These are therefore not bound to a specific Exchange edition, so that you can also use Exchange Standard Server with an Enterprise CAL, and Exchange Enterprise Server with a Standard CAL. The CAL for the Exchange Enterprise Editions is an add-on to the CAL for the Exchange Standard Editions.
Further information about licensing with CALs can be found
License purchase and licensing advice on Exchange Server at Wiresoft
In the Wiresoft Online-Shop you will find all licenses of the described server versions - from Exchange 2008 to Exchange 2019 - in the Standard and Enterprise Edition as original Microsoft license products. In addition, we offer you the appropriate client access licenses to be able to use the functions and services of the respective edition; you can purchase these licenses conveniently individually and thus cover your CAL needs in a customized and economical way.
You benefit from our special, reduced prices for all server licenses and CALs: These come from European companies, are unused and therefore fully operational. They have also been checked by Wiresoft for 100% authenticity. As a Wiresoft customer you are therefore always on the safe side when buying a license - and you can also take advantage of our expert advice for all your questions - in an online chat, by e-mail or by telephone.