MICROSOFT SQL SERVER 2016 STANDARD
Ready for shipment immediately, delivery time 24h
- Item no: SW10099
- Manufacturer no: 228-10817
- Duration: Permanently valid
- Language: All languages
- Country zone: US
|CAL||User CAL/Device CAL|
|Scope of delivery||Download + License|
SQL Server 2016 Standard provides enterprises with a reliable scalable hybrid database platform to build intelligent mission-critical applications, as this edition includes all the necessary features and memory performance, including enhanced security with new features and in-database query capabilities and analytics, plus Hadoop and Cloud integration, R analytics, etc.
For further questions about the product, please contact our customer service.
Microsoft SQL Server 2016 Standard
SQL Server 2016 Standard provides enterprises with a reliable, scalable, hybrid database platform to build intelligent, mission-critical applications, as this edition includes all the features needed to do so, as well as the corresponding memory performance, including advanced security with new features, as well as in-database query capabilities and analytics, plus Hadoop and cloud integration, R-analysis, and more.
In-memory performance, advanced analytics functions as well as real-time analysis of operational data plus the expanded reporting area are also among the features particularly worth mentioning.
The SQL Server 2016 Standard edition is available from Wiresoft as used software - the price is lower than that of comparable new software - as far as this version of SQL Server is still regularly offered at all. This SQL Server license can be used to its full extent even when used and thus offers the maximum scalability, performance and security typical of the edition; this makes it particularly attractive for companies or organizations of smaller size that use correspondingly smaller servers, so that the combination of server license and CALs represents the most economical solution for them. The licensing of this used Microsoft SQL Server 2016 Standard Edition is carried out according to the official Microsoft license management conditions. For detailed information on the new enhancements and features included in SQL Server 2016 Standard and how to license them correctly, please see the following sections.
New Microsoft SQL Server 2016 Standard benefits and features
Microsoft SQL Server 2016 Standard Edition supports the transformation of business-critical applications into intelligent applications, as well as increased scalability for up to 24 cores, plus open source R integration also enables advanced analytics. Employees or endpoints that have the appropriate client access license will benefit from the comprehensive business intelligence and development tools, which are also available for cloud-based use. Below is a brief outline of the key new features and functionality in SQL Server version 2016:
The built-in in-memory capabilities are responsible for a significant performance boost across all workloads - which is comparable to the speed of in-memory OLTP. In addition, there are other features such as:
- In-Memory Columnstore and Query Store
- Extension of the ColumnStore index
- Temporal Tables for historization and provisioning of table data
- Support for tables up to 2 TB in size
SQL Server 2016 Analysis Services (SSAS)
SQL Server 2016 Analysis Services offers improved performance and functionality for, among other things, creation, filtering, processing for table model databases - including integration with the R statistical language: R scripts can thus be executed directly on SQL Server and no longer have to be exported from the SQL database and then imported into R for an analysis, which not only saves time, but also provides greater security - as well as:
- Database Consistency Checker - to check database consistency to immediately detect potential data corruption issues.
- Direct live querying of external data supports additional data sources including Azure SQL, Oracle and Teradata.
- New DAX features as well as Namespace Services
- The revised Analysis Services Management Objects (AMO) include Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Core.dll, a second assembly.
SQL Server 2016 Integration Services (SSIS)
Important features here are support for Always On availability groups as well as Always Encrypted and Hadoop File System (HDFS) - as well as:
- Incremental package provisioning
- Available column names for errors in the data flow
- New connectors as well as
- Extensive custom logging capabilities
Master Data Services (MDS)
Master Data Services are used to efficiently manage master data sets within an organization. The following options, among others, are available:
- Data can be organized in the form of models and rules for updating can be defined - including the authorization of specific individuals to execute them.
- Master data sets can also be shared with individuals in Excel.
- Filtering by domain-based attributes, as well as synchronization of entities for sharing across models
- Approval workflows via change sets as well as new levels for enhanced security
- Custom indexes for improved query performance
Reporting Services (SSRS)
SQL Server Reporting Services helps users create, manage, and deliver mobile or paginated reports.
- Analysis Services provide analytical data from reporting and business services reports that can also be used for client applications or business intelligence tools from other vendors.
- Reports can be generated from a variety of data sources, published in a variety of formats, and made available to employees via a browser in the web portal, via email, or on a mobile device.
- Other features include the new web-based reporting portal with KPI feature as well as the new publisher specifically for creating mobile reports
- New engine with HTML5 support for rendering reports
- New chart types such as Treemap and Sunburst
When it comes to security features, Microsoft SQL Server version 2016 has the following improvements to offer, among others:
- Always Encrypted protects sensitive data such as credit card numbers and stores it encrypted in the or SQL Server database. Different roles define access rights, whereby admins, for example, can only manage data but do not have direct access to it.
- Row-Level Security enables the implementation of access restrictions for individual rows of data, so that a single employee is only authorized to access certain rows of data.
- Dynamic Data Masking simplifies application security coding and prevents unauthorized users from accessing sensitive data.
Maximum available performance specifications for each component of SQL Server 2016 Standard Edition
The following chart provides various scalability, performance, and feature specifications available for each component.
Maximum scalability/sizes per instance of the SQL Server database engine
- General computing capacity: up to 4 sockets or 24 cores
- Computing capacity for Analysis Services or Reporting Services: up to 4 sockets or 24 cores
- Buffer pool memory: 128 GB
- Columnstore segment cache memory: 32 GB2
- Memory optimized data size: 32 GB
- Analysis Services memory: Tabular 16 GB / MOLAP 64 GB
- Working memory for Reporting Services: 64 GB
- Relational database size: 524 PB
High availability for SQL Server database engine functions:
- Server Core support
- Log shipping
- Database mirroring - only with full security
- Backup compression
- Always On failover cluster supports 2 nodes
- Basic availability groups support 2 nodes
- Database recovery advisor and snapshot
- Encrypted backup as well as hybrid backup in Azure
Scalability of SQL Server database engine features
- In-memory OLTP
- Stretch Database
- Data compression
- Persistent main memory
- Multiple instance support
- Table and index partitioning
- Parallel processing of partitioned tables
- FILESTREAM container
- Buffer pool extension
Available security features
- Always Encrypted
- Row level security
- Encryption of backups
- Dynamic data masking
- Server and database monitoring
- User-defined roles
- Standalone databases
- SQL Server change tracking
- Snapshot, transaction and merge replication
- Refreshable subscription for transactional replication
- Heterogeneous subscribers
SQL Server database engine management tools, including:
- SQL Management Objects
- SQL Configuration Manager
- SQL Command Prompt Tool
- Distributed Replay for Administrator Tool, Client as well as Controller (1 Client)
- SQL Profiler and SQL Server Agent
- Database Engine Tuning Advisor
Data warehousing features
- Creation of cubes without database
- Automatic generation of staging and data warehouse schemas
- Capture of modified data
SQL Server database engine development tools
- Integration with Microsoft Visual Studio
- IntelliSense with Transact-SQL and MDX as well as MDX editing, MDX debugging and MDX design tools
- SQL Server Data Tools
Hardware and Software Requirements for SQL 2016 Standard
The following are minimum requirements for installing MS SQL Server 2016 Edition Standard. In general, all SQL Server 2016 Standard features are supported on a 64-bit client operating system, whereas only certain features are supported on a 32-bit client operating system. x86 processors are no longer supported. Furthermore, it is recommended to install the SQL Server software on a computer with NTFS or ReFS file format.
- Hard disk space: at least 6 GB - depending on the SQL Server components installed in each case
- Memory: min. 4 GB, with increasing database size this should be increased to ensure optimal performance of SQL Server 2016
- Processor type: x64 processor - AMD Opteron or Athlon 64, Intel Xeon or Pentium IV with EM64T support
- Processor speed: min. 1.4 GHz; recommended 2.0 GHz
- At least .NET Framework 4.6 - the SQL Server setup .NET Framework is automatically installed as well, Master Data Services and Replication
- Supported operating systems: Windows Server 2016 Datacenter, Standard and Essentials; Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter; Standard, Essentials and R2 Foundation; Windows Server 2012 Datacenter, Standard, Essentials and Foundation
- Installing SQL Server 2016 in Server Core mode is supported by these Windows Server editions: Windows Server 2016 Standard and Datacenter; Windows Server 2016 Standard and Datacenter; Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard and Datacenter; Windows Server 2012 Standard and Datacenter
Licensing of SQL Server 2016 Standard Edition per Server/CALs
For SQL Server 2019 Standard Edition, combined licensing of server and complementary client access licenses (CALs) is available for either users or endpoints, so these must be purchased separately. Microsoft's licensing metric makes the following statements in this regard:
- A separate server license is required for each server (whether physical or virtual) running SQL Server 2016 Standard Edition.
- This also applies to SQL Server instances running in containers and equated to virtual machines.
- For each user or end device that is to access a licensed SQL Server, a separate Client Access License (CAL) is also required, the version of which is at least identical or, if applicable, also entitles access to a higher version; these CALs must be purchased separately, they are not software and are also available second-hand from Wiresoft as separate Microsoft products.
Licensing with the Server/CAL variant is particularly suitable for those companies that require client access licenses for a relatively manageable number of users or end devices, so that the costs for SQL Server licensing are lower than for the alternative Core-based licensing.
If you have any questions about your optimal SQL Server 2016 Standard licensing, simply contact us.
FAQs about used software with SQL Server 2016 Standard Edition
Good to know: With used software from Wiresoft, such as the license for SQL Server 2016 Standard, you can be sure that it does not differ in capabilities from a comparable new server license - not only because software generally does not wear out, but also in terms of its legal usability and functionality. Below you will find all the answers to typical questions about used software for SQL Server licenses.
Where does Wiresoft used software for SQL Server 2016 Standard come from?
The used software for SQL Server 2016 Standard offered by Wiresoft in the respective available editions comes from various organizations or companies that once purchased the software themselves and resold it to Wiresoft for various reasons - for example, because it contains surplus licenses or was replaced by another software and was no longer used. These licenses are therefore marked as used software and can be used like a new license.
Does used software for SQL Server 2016 Standard license also offer buyer security?
Yes: Every Wiresoft used software - such as for SQL Server 2016 Standard License - offers you customers the same advantages with the purchase as a comparable new server software: both with buyer security through immediate download after the purchase process is completed as well as with immediate license activation through the supplied valid license key.
Is it legal to buy and use SQL Server 2016 Standard with used software?
Yes: When purchasing Wiresoft Used Software, you can be sure that you are acting legally as a customer - of course, this also applies to its actual use and also to Wiresoft as a provider - because the Used Software offered comes from the license inventory of a company. Therefore, the usual jurisdiction applies, which not only allows trading with Microsoft Used Software, but also its actual use; various court rulings have already confirmed this several times.
Are there other advantages with Wiresoft pre-owned software?
Yes: With Wiresoft used software, customers can supplement or update their software inventories at a particularly favorable price, because its price is significantly lower than that of comparable new software. Wiresoft also offers many older versions of server licenses that are no longer regularly available, so customers are not forced to make more expensive upgrades. Used software from Wiresoft also has the advantage of being audit-proof due to the complete record of all buyers!
In Wiresoft's used software portfolio, you will not only find SQL Server software such as the 2016 Standard Edition at a favorable advantage price, but also the alternative core licensing as well as other versions of SQL Server. In Wiresoft's used software portfolio you will also find many offers for other Microsoft programs - with all the benefits mentioned above. If you have any questions regarding your licensing of SQL Server 2016 Standard incl. CALs or any other licensing option, please feel free to contact us via chat, email or phone.